In the midst of many TV movies, ended up watching a Tamil movie and a Hollywood Blockbuster this weekend.
On Saturday watched Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Eppadi and on Sunday caught Avengers in theater.
Movie: Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Eppadi
Cast: Siddharth, Amala Paul
The movie was very cool and cute but for the cinematic climax. The casting isperfect. An enjoyable movie. There are many scenes that makes one nod their head in agreement. Had a fun Sat night watching this movie!
After lot of deliberation between 3D, 3D IMAX and 2D, ended up watching this movie in 2D. I personally am not a big fan of 3D. The theater was full even after 2 weeks and we couldn’t get seats in the show we bought tickets for, so we were forced to go to the following screening! Well, it was worth the effort! It was an out and out super hero action movie. There were lot of funny lines that had the entire theater laughing. Kept one captivated for the entire 140+ minutes. 3D might not have been bad, but I guess this is not an original 3D but a 3D convert. So guess, we didn’t miss much! The climax though reminded me of Enthiran. Did anyone else feel that way?
Overall, it was fun movie weekend!!
Did you laugh/smile/enjoy as much as I did watching/listening to this?
First it was Otha sollala, now this! I so don’t want to admit that I liked both the songs and Dhanush’s acting/expressions!!
Have been looking forward to watch this movie for some time. But has been a little skeptical since AR Murugadas said he wants to please A, B, C centers and their extended family with any of his movie irrespective of what he takes. Missed watching the movie the first week due to many schedule conflicts. By then reviews started coming in and my expectation hit rock bottom which was a blessing in disguise. Watched the movie finally this weekend, and it was not bad thanks to my low expectation.
- The cast. Shruthi, Suriya, Johnny tri Nguyen, all three looking good and acted well.
- Bodhi dharma’s back story. Wish it was the entire movie. It would have been fresh and very entertaining. (Felt the same way in Dasavatharam as well. It is time for a good historic movie in Tamil. Anyone hearing me. If so, please remember it should be good.)
- Didn’t screw up big time in an attempt to dumb down the movie for the audience
- Not dwelling much into Suriya/Shruthi romance
- Strong role for the leading lady instead of typical “damsel in distress” heroine. Shruthi has played this part very well.
- It was creative of AR Murugadoss to pick the story of Bodhidharma. At least I didn’t know about Bodhidharma until I saw this movie, although an article about Bodhidharma came in Junior vikatan in the 80s.
- Songs! Totally out of place and not impressive. “Ennum enna thozha” didn’t have the umph like “Jana gana mana” from Yuva. Probably the songs might work as a separate album, but not in this movie
- Background score was not impressive, it was distracting in many places especially in the climax fight sequence
- Too much reliance on Hypnotism and less martial arts
- Unnecessary display of Surya’s body. Kind of starts reminding one of Salman Khan
- Climax was dragging. Since we all know that Suriya is going to win, why drag it out.
- Gets too preachy at times. I mean, if the directed has depicted Bodhidharma as a Telegu prince in 7th sense, what does it do the credibility of the director!! So why bring the tamil pride and get all preachy when you are ready to misrepresent historic details in order to make money
Overall, the movie can is worth watching one time.
Ajith seems to have enjoyed doing the movie and the bad boy image suits him better.
Ajith carries the entire weight of the movie.
Fast paced(Although the songs and Premji slow it down a bit)
Venkat Prabhu stuck to the script instead of changing it according to Ajith’s perceived image.
Lakshmi Rai, Arjun, Arvind have done a good job supporting Ajith. Lakshmi’s role is the meatiest of all.
Mediocre to bad supporting cast. (Premji, Magath, Vaibhav to say the least)
The background score and songs weren’t impressive
They could have cast some one other than Premji for the geek character. Couldn’t imagine a character like Premji hacking into highly secured systems
Lot of scenes remind one of the many Hollywood movies that we have all seen. (Onna renda eduthu solla.)
The women in the movie other than Lakshmi Rai are fully wasted
Overall, the movie can be watched one time. Decent entertainer. For me this is the thrid Ajith movie in theatre. The first one was Vaali, which was pretty decent. The second one was Citizen. (I still have nightmares about that, so let us move on), the third is Mangatha, which is a decent movie.
By the way, the censor board, apart from bleeping out the profanities, also blurred some of the bloody scenes and some of the hips and bellybuttons. I have a question(Enakku oru unmai therinjaganum), when they freely show the bikini clad women prancing around, why are they blurring the hip that peeks out of a saree. Strange people I say!! Did this happen in all theatres or were we in a special theatre?
Rise of the planet of the apes – Enthiran
James Franco – Superstar Rajinikanth
Apes – Robots
Frieda – If only Caesar fell in love with Frieda, Frieda would have become Aishwarya Rai!
Overall, good movie! Enjoyed it!! This movie is another reminder to how horrible humans are!!!
Cast: Nagarjuna, Prakashraj, Chaams, MS Baskar, Thalaivasal Vijay, Prithviraj
Director: Radha Mohan
Verdict: Loved it!
Thanks to Praveen‘s recommendation, caught this movie in the theater over the weekend. The movie didn’t disappoint. No songs in the movie and you don’t even miss them. Loved the screen play. No vulgarity, no unwanted scenes or no separate comedy track. Clean, decent movie. Kudos to Radha Mohan. Nagarjuna looks very young and fit for a 50+year old and he fits perfectly for the commando role. It was so refreshing to see Nagarjuna with no hero build up, no special opening scene/song. Prakashraj has really showed restraint and has not over-acted. And that is appreciated. After a long time, a movie made me laugh out loud in the theater especially the scenes between Prithvi and Chaams. I have become a fan of Chaams. His dialogue delivery is awesome. His performance is always memorable. (eg. Irumbu kottai murattu singam, Aaru and this one to name a few).
Over all it is a wonderful entertainer for which I wouldn’t mind shelling out the steep bay area ticket price!
Rajini seems to have enjoyed doing a movie after a very long time. And it shows in this movie! Awesome performance by Rajini. None of those punch dialogues, smoking/chewing gum gimmicks in this movie.
Aishwaray Rai’s dancing was very good. Other than that, nothing special.
The second half animatronics, especially, the swarm formations of the bots were amazing. Very creative.
The picturization of Kilimanjaro and Kadhal Anukkul were wonderful. The locations were breathtaking!
Chitti’s conversation with humans. Enjoyable. Very creative writing. RIP Sujatha!
The train fight was too long and unnecessary
Too many songs
What else can I say that the others haven’t said already!
Overall awesome movie!
What is keeping me from blogging! Writers Block? That occurs only to writers. That is not me. It is just that too many things are/were happening.
Boo and the kids were here for summer holidays. Parents are already here. Hmm.. Where did June/July go? Did the following with Boo and kids.
- Ravanan – Amazing cinematography. Liked it actually. Prithviraj was great! Vikram was the usual!
- Yosemite trip – Saw bears, beautiful water falls, on the whole, a wonderful road trip.
- Santa Cruz – Why was it cold in summer? Global warming!!! The kids enjoyed though in spite of the cold
- July 4th fireworks
- Camping trip – Clear Lake with utbt. The kids Chula, Meija, Ashu and Antu made this trip fun fun fun! (And of course, the bhel puri, koththu parotta, veggie clear soup and upma added to the fun)
- Meeting friends/relatives
- Girls only Vegas trip. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas! So can’t say much there.
- Shopping, shopping, shopping
- Butterfly rearing
- Park visits / Picnics
- Saw inception – still trying to figure it out. Wonderful movie
- Saw Airbender – Not bad
Before we realized, it was time for Boo to leave. The house feels empty. Missing the kids!
Now, August has already started as another month of house guests and fun!
Sorry blog friends(you know who you are) whom we couldn’t meet due to this hectic July and to whom I couldn’t reply. But enjoyed your emails. Will catch up soon!
p.s Heard Enthiran songs, thanks Praveen for the keeping me updated. Did “Arima Arima” remind anyone of “Kallai Matum Kandal” from Dasavatharam?