We had been to Lake Tahoe for the Thanksgiving weekend. Surprisingly, it was sunny and bright there in Lake Tahoe. Had a relaxing and fun time there. Came back home to a gloomy weather yesterday and went to work today in the gloomy weather. What better way to spruce up a gloomy weather than a hearty wonderful dinner. So raided the pantry and finally found a bag of Avees Puncha Idiyappam podi and some cans of light coconut milk. Have never made idiyappam in life. Searched internet for recipes and gave up since all of the recipes were for white rice flour, not the red rice puncha idiyappam. Decided to give it a try on my own. Didn’t have high hopes. But guess how it turned out! Awesome! Look for yourself.
Idiyappam (6-8 servings of 4-6 idiyappams each)
- Avees Puncha Idiyappam podi (Red rice flour) – 2 cups
- Boiling water – 2 cups
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Mix the salt, Idiyappam podi, add water little by little. Mix it without any lumps and keep it aside closed for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, add the oil and knead it well without any lumps. Then using a idiyappam press or thenkuzhal choppu/Nazhi, press them into idly mould and steam them for 10 minutes. Wonderful idiyappam is ready.
Kadalai curry(4 servings)
- Diced Onions 1/2 cup
- Boiled garbanzo bean(channa) 1 1/2 cup
- Grated garlic/ginger 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Oil 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Madras curry masala powder/garam masala 1 tsp
- Tomato 1, chopped
- Light coconut milk 1 cup
- Cilantro leaves, 1 tbsp chopped
Heat oil, add ginger/garlic, then add onion, saute for 2 mins, add tomato and salt, saute for 10 mins, then add the curry masala powder, after 5 mins, add the garbanzo bean and 1 cup of water. Let it boil for 15 mins. Add the coconut milk, switch off once it is about to boil. Add powder, saute for five minutes, add salt and keep it aside. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Serve it with hot idiyappam.
Did you laugh/smile/enjoy as much as I did watching/listening to this?
First it was Otha sollala, now this! I so don’t want to admit that I liked both the songs and Dhanush’s acting/expressions!!
Have been looking forward to watch this movie for some time. But has been a little skeptical since AR Murugadas said he wants to please A, B, C centers and their extended family with any of his movie irrespective of what he takes. Missed watching the movie the first week due to many schedule conflicts. By then reviews started coming in and my expectation hit rock bottom which was a blessing in disguise. Watched the movie finally this weekend, and it was not bad thanks to my low expectation.
- The cast. Shruthi, Suriya, Johnny tri Nguyen, all three looking good and acted well.
- Bodhi dharma’s back story. Wish it was the entire movie. It would have been fresh and very entertaining. (Felt the same way in Dasavatharam as well. It is time for a good historic movie in Tamil. Anyone hearing me. If so, please remember it should be good.)
- Didn’t screw up big time in an attempt to dumb down the movie for the audience
- Not dwelling much into Suriya/Shruthi romance
- Strong role for the leading lady instead of typical “damsel in distress” heroine. Shruthi has played this part very well.
- It was creative of AR Murugadoss to pick the story of Bodhidharma. At least I didn’t know about Bodhidharma until I saw this movie, although an article about Bodhidharma came in Junior vikatan in the 80s.
- Songs! Totally out of place and not impressive. “Ennum enna thozha” didn’t have the umph like “Jana gana mana” from Yuva. Probably the songs might work as a separate album, but not in this movie
- Background score was not impressive, it was distracting in many places especially in the climax fight sequence
- Too much reliance on Hypnotism and less martial arts
- Unnecessary display of Surya’s body. Kind of starts reminding one of Salman Khan
- Climax was dragging. Since we all know that Suriya is going to win, why drag it out.
- Gets too preachy at times. I mean, if the directed has depicted Bodhidharma as a Telegu prince in 7th sense, what does it do the credibility of the director!! So why bring the tamil pride and get all preachy when you are ready to misrepresent historic details in order to make money
Overall, the movie can is worth watching one time.